WARNING: Major spoilers.
Note: I wrote this review as a fresh Lord of the Rings nerd a few years ago, so please excuse any consequential grammatical mistakes or the such. 🙂
Last night my dad and I finished watching the Lord of the Rings movie series(a feat which took nights to accomplish, ;D). Some people find this series better than the books. One the other hand, some people dislike the fact that it is not quite loyal to the books in certain respects. Here I have organized my thoughts into a list of pros and cons:
1. Sam(my favorite character!) remains still loyal to Frodo, for the most part. And like Pippin said “he would be willing to jump down a dragon’s throat” , for Frodo.
2. Pippin and Merry entertain us just as much(and perhaps more) as they do in the book.
3. Ian McKellen portrays Gandalf excellently.
4. They included one of my many favorite quotes from the book,”I am glad that you are here with me. Here at the end of all things.”
1.They left out many people, events and places from the book: Tom Bombadil, Goldberry, Farmer Maggot(except for very briefly where he is chasing away the hobbits, instead of helping them), The Scouring of The Shire, the conspiracy of Pippin, Merry, Sam, and Fatty who helped Frodo, and finding the troll who had turned to stone.
2. They added many events to the movie: Pippin and Merry accidentally coming along with Sam and Frodo to Rivendell, not because they had been planning to help him, Gollum convincing Frodo that Sam had eaten the last lembas bread, and the whole love thing with Arwen and Aragorn in the first and second movie.
3. On the topic of love, In the first and second movies there was too much romance between Aragorn and Arwen. The part where the vision of Arwen gives Aragon new strength after the Warg attack is quite “made up”. But, then in the third movie Sam and Aragorn marry their wives, yet I don’t remember Eowyn and Faramir marrying. unnecessary romance in the first and second movies, how couldn’t they add the marriage of Eowyn and Faramir? As you can relate(if you’ve seen it), the movie series did a pretty good job overall, but added/left out too many things. All in all, I think that the Lord of the Rings movie series are worth my time. But, I certainly wouldn’t go so far as to say that the movie series are better than the books.